Our mission is to promote the appropriate use of trained and registered animals in emotional and physical therapeutic settings by providing support and information to pet therapy teams (human handler and their registered pet) and institutions.
To accomplish our mission we strive to:
- Serve as an information clearinghouse among groups and individuals in Northern Arizona who wish to practice animal assisted therapy and animal assisted activities.
- Assist Northern Arizona based institutions and facilities (including nursing homes, hospitals, hospices, schools, etc) in identifying pet therapy teams
- Conduct information sessions and training programs for persons in N. Arizona who wish to become therapy pet handlers.
- Offer review sessions for experienced therapy pet handlers.
- Educate the public about the value and appropriate use of animals in therapy
- Assist in the selection of potential therapy dogs from local shelters and evaluate pets for therapy suitability.
Our vision is to increase tenfold the number of registered pet therapy teams and institutions that request them in Northern Arizona and to enhance the quality of service pet therapy teams provide.